As the saying goes, cheaply is expensive. When relocating, you should not hire a cheap moving company because it could be a way of luring you into their poor services. Most moving companies which offer low moving costs are unprofessional and probably offer poor services, and hence they’ve a low fee to attract movers. You may end up paying more than you agreed at first because they load your stuff and raise the moving cost. Since your items are already loaded in their truck, they threaten not to deliver your items or sell them to compensate for loses. This automatically prompts you to agree to avoid losing your belongings.
If you need to hire a reputable mover, you need to get recommendations from your friends, a local real estate agent, family members who moved recently or online email groups. With these referrals, you will make a sound decision based on cost, professionalism and reliability of the mover. However, if you are moving, here are some ways you can approach your moving process:
1. Do it yourself
This is one of the most reliable and cost-effective means of moving a home or an office. One of the main benefits of this method is immediate delivery. Hence, you don’t have to worry about your stuff because they will be delivered within a short period unlike when you hire a large moving company. U-Haul, Penske, and many moving companies in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada are three of the well know do it yourself moving companies with Penske having the highest ratings on yelp.com
2. Hire large moving companies
There are advantages and disadvantages of hiring a large moving company. Although they may have a higher moving cost than small movers, large moving companies are established with a reputable organization to handle everything they encounter. Therefore, they may not have any additional costs after you’ve agreed on the moving cost. However, you need to have a lot of stuff when moving to avoid delays.Since these moving companies have large tractor-trailer trucks which require a lot of stuff to be filled, you either need to have a lot of items to fill the space or they combine your items with other movers to fill up space. Therefore, these companies usually give an estimated delivery window of 2 days – 2 weeks because they have to load and unload several other houses before getting to your house. To hire a large moving company, you need to have an alternative place to stay for some time while waiting for your household items.
3. Loading and unloading help
If you don’t want to do the heavy lifting, you can look for people to help you load and unload your stuff from the truck. This is convenient if you hire a local moving company to offer you loading services only while you just drive. Upon arriving at your new home, you can look for unloading help from neighbours or friends living nearby. You can be able to get quotes online, a number of workers and time estimate to have the job completed. If you need any help when moving e.g. packing, cleaning, loading, unloading or even driving, you can visit to hire. You should, however, consider consumer ratings, services provided and quotes to make your final decision. Moving Companies Edmonton rates different Edmonton moving companies on their value. You can check out their site to see if the moving company you are hiring is reputable or not.
4. You load stuff, they drive
Even though you can drive, sometimes driving a rental moving truck full of heavy furniture for long distances could be a daunting task. You can load your stuff into the truck with a professional driver to help you in relocation. One of the well-known company to offer this kind of services is U-Haul. Here, the company drops a trailer in your driveway or front of your house for you to pack your stuff, and then they deliver the items to agreed location at an agreed cost. You can ask for help from neighbours or friends to pack and load the trailer if you’ve a lot of stuff.
Alternatively, you can visit a moving scam website which is a moving watchdog website which has small to mid-sized moving companies to hire when relocating. These moving companies are rated by previous movers, and hence you have a chance to choose a reputable mover. Also, the companies have small moving trucks which can accommodate your stuff only and hence delivery is immediate. As a mover, you will also benefit from low moving costs which are guaranteed and not estimates. Therefore, after you’ve agreed on the cost of moving your items, there will be no extra costs incurred or added when moving. You should understand that moving cost will be determined by a range of factors e.g. distance, the number of items, type of items to move, where you are moving to (some areas have fees), etc.
When relocating, you should follow these tips to avoid a scam:
• To avoid hidden or added charges when moving, you should get an inclusive cost from your moving company. This protects you from last minute additional costs which you did not expect. You should not rely on phone estimates because they may eventually change. To have a guaranteed estimate, the estimator should visit your house to make an evaluation
• Hire a company which have been offering moving services for a long period to benefit from their experience gained over time. When moving, packing, loading and unloading your items can cause heavy losses due to breakages or even loss of items. Therefore, hiring a company which have experienced and skilled workers can help you avoid incurring losses when moving
• Before hiring a moving company, you should make sure that there are no complaints against the company at Better Business Bureau to avoid being a victim. Prevention is better than cure, therefore, avoid hiring a moving company which has a bad reputation
• You should be aware of moving companies that tend to ask your moving budget so that they can exploit you. A reputable company should give you an honest estimate not tailoring their estimate depending on your budget!